We asked Dean Hicks, Dean of Oxford College of Emory University, to share about some of the key reasons a students should/could consider enrolling at this unique campus. While Dean Hicks stays busy with administrative and leadership responsibilities, he is also regularly seen at student events on campus! Another great touch of the small, close-knit Oxford community. This message is written specifically to admitted students, but the points are valid and great to consider for prospective students as well!
Dear students admitted to Oxford College,
Congratulations to you! I hope that you will seriously consider Oxford and Emory as your college choice. This was the most selective admission year in our history. You would join amazing peers from around the U.S. and the world on the Oxford campus! Oxford College of Emory University offers you something truly distinctive, and it is the best of both worlds. You can enter a top-tier liberal arts college while experiencing the resources of a world-class research university. We know that in your early college years, the relationships you build with your peers, and the opportunities you have to interact closely with professors and mentors, are of paramount importance for your intellectual and social growth.
At under 1,000 students and located on a beautiful, historic, pedestrian-friendly campus, Oxford will challenge and support you as you pursue great ideas and pose the big questions that drive a liberal arts curriculum. I invite you to imagine your exciting future at Oxford. Here are some likely highlights:
- Students, staff, and faculty meet you on Move-In Day in the Georgia sunshine to help move your stuff into your new residence hall room.
- You venture the weekend after Move-In to Emory’s Atlanta campus to meet more classmates and take the Emory University Class of 2021 photo.
- Meet your academic advisor back at Oxford, who will be your mentor and teacher over the coming two years.
- Jump into classes in our state-of-the-art Science facility and historic Seney Hall.
- Become a leader of a student organization in your two years at Oxford.
- Do community-based learning in our renowned theory/practice service learning program.
- Learn about sustainability at our organic farm and the surrounding lakes, forests, and mountains.
- Do undergraduate research in Oxford or Atlanta with renowned scholars in their fields.
- Find an internship in Atlanta or around the world through Oxford’s and Emory’s alumni network
- Join the Atlanta campus in two years and choosing the Goizueta School of Business, the Woodruff School of Nursing, or the Emory College of Arts and Sciences to complete your undergraduate degree.
Oxford College offers you an engaged and engaging foundation so you can realize your dreams!
If possible, come visit us in the coming weeks and get a sense of what all the buzz is about. Or contact us for more information. If you want to fully embrace your college experience, Oxford College of Emory University offers you an incredible set of academic and social experiences. I hope to welcome you to campus in August!
Douglas A. Hicks
William R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of Religion
Oxford College of Emory University